Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco De Mayo,May 5,1862 Battle of Puebla A Bit of HIstory Beating amazing odds

CINCO DE MAYO
"This battle was significant in that the 4,000 Mexican soldiers were greatly outnumbered by the well-equipped French army of 8,000 that had not been defeated for almost 50 years”
Forward O...Forward O...Forward O...Forward O...Forward O...


I need to do a little history check on CINCO DE MAYO because I know we Americans love to celebrate this day, I know I'm guilty too wishing everyone a Happy Cinco De Mayo, without knowing it's true history so, here is some of the history I found~

    This is not Independance Day for Mexico(first mistake I had made, I thought it was),
 but May 5,1862 the Mexican army had an victory over the French.  It didn't seem as though Mexico would win this Battle of Puebla ("This battle was significant in that the 4,000 Mexican soldiers were greatly outnumbered by the well-equipped French army of 8,000 that had not been defeated for almost 50 years) so when they did it was certianaly a reason to celebrate.

Puebla observes this day to commemorate the Mexican Army's victory!

Unfortunatly, One year later Thirty thousand French troops were able to defete the Mexican army, capture Mexico City, and  Emperor Maximilian I was the as ruler of Mexico.

However, the French victory was also short-lived, lasting only 3 years, from 1864 to 1867. 

 This was because the U.S.Civil War ended in 1865 so the U.S. was was able to provide more assistance to Mexico to expel the French, after which Maximilian I was executed by the Mexicans, along with his Mexican generals
 

No comments:

Post a Comment